What personal information do we collect?
“Personal Information” is information about an identifiable individual or as information that allows an individual to be identified. For the purposes of this policy, Personal Information means information about an identifiable individual as defined from time to time in applicable privacy legislation. Generally speaking Personal Information does not include what is considered business contact information: your name, title or position, business address, telephone number, facsimile number or e-mail address. The types of Personal Information that GAC may collect about you includes your name, home address, telephone number, personal e-mail address, billing and account information, information about a client’s business issue and other information incidental to providing professional advice and services (including Personal Information about witnesses, family members, beneficiaries, directors, officers, employees, adverse parties, parties-in-interest, investigators, decision-makers, experts, other professional advisors and our clients’ business partners, investors, shareholders, competitors and customers whom are individuals). We also collect from former employers and other third parties, and from publicly available sources, personal information about prospective or current employees, contractors and partners that is reasonably required to establish, manage or terminate an employment, contractual or partnership relationship.
Why do we collect your personal information?
In general, GAC collects, uses and discloses Personal Information about our clients and service providers in order to provide our clients with professional services, and about applicants for positions with GAC for the purpose of evaluating the application and deciding whether to establish (and subsequently to manage or terminate) an employment, contractual or partnership relationship. More specifically, we collect, use and disclose your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- to establish and manage client relationships, provide professional advice, perform professional services, fulfil professional duties, and avoid conflicts of interest. This may include the sharing of Personal Information by and between GAC personnel and affiliated companies and partnerships for such purposes;
- to share Personal Information to and from third parties for the purpose of providing professional services. Such third parties may include interested parties, foreign professionals and advisors, decision-makers and experts;
- to consider whether GAC should establish a commercial relationship with clients, suppliers and other third parties, including to evaluate credit standing and to match credit bureau or credit reporting agency information;
- to establish and maintain commercial relationships with clients, suppliers and other third parties, including to issue invoices, administer accounts, collect and process payments, and to fulfil contractual obligations;
- to establish, manage and terminate employment, contractual and partnership relationships; .
- to understand and respond to client, supplier and other third party needs and preferences, including to contact and communicate with such parties and to conduct surveys, research and evaluations;
- to develop, enhance, market, sell or otherwise provide GAC’s products and services;
- to market, sell or otherwise provide products and services of third parties with whom GAC has a commercial relationship;
- to distribute newsletters and other informational e-mail communications, conference information and other material to individuals on our mail and e-mail lists, including via third party mailing houses and e-mail service providers;
- to develop and manage our knowledge-management precedent systems and databases;
- to develop and manage GAC’s business and operations;
- to detect and protect GAC and other third parties against error, negligence, breach of contract, fraud, theft and other illegal activity, and to audit compliance with GAC policies and contractual obligations;
- to engage in business transactions, including the purchase, sale, lease, merger, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, securitization or financing involving GAC;
- as permitted by, and to comply with, any legal or regulatory requirements or provisions; and
- for any other purpose to which you consent.
To whom do we disclose your personal information?
From time to time, GAC may disclose your Personal Information to:
- service providers, including an organization or individual retained by GAC to perform functions on its behalf, such as marketing, data processing, document management and office services;
- an organization or individual retained by GAC to evaluate your creditworthiness or to collect debts outstanding on an account;
- a financial institution, on a confidential basis and solely in connection with the assignment of a right to receive payment, the provision of security or other financing arrangements; or
- a person who, in the reasonable judgment of GAC, is providing or seeking the information as your agent;
- to our insurers and to regulatory agencies such as provincial law societies, insurers or others in connection with regulatory or other activities relating to the obligations of GAC;
- to personnel in GAC, government authorities, insurers, benefits providers, consultants or agents as reasonably required to establish, manage or terminate employment, contractual and partnership relationships; and
- any third party or parties, where you consent to such disclosure or where disclosure is required or permitted by law.
Where do we store your personal information?
Your Personal Information is stored in secured locations and on servers controlled by GAC, located either at our offices or at the offices of our service providers.
How may you obtain access to your personal information?
Upon your written request, subject to certain exceptions, GAC will inform you of the existence, use and disclosure of your Personal Information and will give you access to that information. Access requests should be sent to GAC, using the contact information below.
How do we protect your personal information?
To help protect the confidentiality of your Personal Information, GAC employs administrative and technological safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of your Personal Information. Where Personal Information is sent to a third party for processing we ensure, through our contacts with them, that all Personal Information is kept secure. We operate secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems.
Privacy and our website
For information on GAC’s privacy practices, please Contact Us.